Dessert for breakfast? YES PLEASE. Especially when it’s this Sea Salt & Dark Chocolate Granola recipe that’s so tasty and nutritious you don’t even have to feel guilty about it. You already know that chocolate contains antioxidants and other minerals like magnesium and iron, right? Which means you’re actually being kinda unhealthy if you don’t eat chocolate for breakfast. 😉
And what’s better than the smell of chocolatey deliciousness wafting through your entire house as you stumble out of bed? Nothing. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
How delicious is this Sea Salt & Dark Chocolate granola?
So delicious that you’ll fight your dog for floor crumbs and not because you know chocolate is bad for him.
How long does this recipe take to make?
If you do it in the slow cooker (on the warm setting), about 10 hours (overnight). You can also do it on high in the slow cooker in about 2-2.5 hours, or follow the bake time instructions in my Healthy Granola Recipe to make it in about 20 ish minutes.
What’s the best way to eat Sea Salt & Dark Chocolate Granola?
With your choice of milk along with fresh or dried fruit, or more chocolate. I also like to shove handfuls in my mouth as hide in the closet from my husband and shout, “NO, I THINK WE’RE ALL OUT OF CHOCOLATE GRANOLA! SORRY!!!”
It’s also super delicious sprinkled on top of yogurt or ice cream.
How long can I store homemade granola?
Cooled properly and transferred to an airtight container, this homemade granola can be stored for about 3 weeks. In the freezer? Forever! (4-6 months)
But it won’t last longer than a few days. Hide your kids. Hide your wife. And definitely hide your chocolate granola.
Sea Salt & Dark Chocolate Granola (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts pieces
- 3/4 cup ground hemp, flax, or pumpkin seeds (FYI - our bodies cannot really digest whole flax seeds, so if you choose flax, go with ground.)
- 1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons SEA salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt)
- 1 - 1.5 cups honey Note: I use about 1 cup of honey when I'm making chocolate granola for just my family. However, when I'm making this recipe as a dessert (or for guests), I use about 1.5 cups of honey. You decide what works best for your taste...granola is super forgiving so you really can't go wrong - I promise!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of slow cooker.
- Add dry ingredients (oats, nuts, seeds, cocoa, salt) to slow cooker; stir until combined.
- Next, add wet ingredients (honey, melted coconut oil, and vanilla) to slow cooker and stir until all oats, nuts, and seeds are well coated.
- To allow steam to escape, leave slow cooker slightly uncovered (see image). Allowing moisture to escape creates a crunchier granola.
- Set to slow cooker to warm for 10 hours.
- After 10 hours, remove granola from crock pot and place on sheet pan to cool for 15-30 minutes. This cooling will also allow the granola to get even crunchier.Note: You do not need to stir the granola during the 10 hour cook time, but you can if you want to. What I'd recommend instead is just going to bed or binge watching Sons of Anarchy all night. Either way, your granola will still be delicious in the morning.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 weeks at room temperature, or 4-6 months in the freezer.
Need more delicious breakfast ideas?
Check out this super tasty Vegetable and Baked Egg Breakfast Skillet.