If you’re lucky enough to have a grocer that offers pre-packaged shredded brussels in the produce section (like Trader Joe’s), this recipe will take about 10 minutes. But if you don’t, not to worry! Other options are to use the slicer attachment on a Cuisinart, or slice the brussels by hand. Either way you choose, in less than 20 minutes you will have these super tasty & nutritious Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta IN YOUR BELLY!
A few facts about these little green globes: they’re loaded with Vitamin K (hey there sexy-strong bones…you want a ride?), Vitamin C (healthy immune function…go F yourself Covid), rich in antioxidants (inflammation? nuh uh boo), and can even protect against cancer-causing carcinogens.
And pancetta? It doesn’t boast much other than a ton of flavor, which is why I use it sparingly and sometimes replace it with toasted pine nuts.
Eat your veggies, y’all!
PS – I am well aware that this was the worst blog I’ve ever posted but I just gave up caffeine yesterday and am experiencing a monster headache and serious brain fog but still wanted to share this deliciousness with you. Also, between you and me, I a little bit want to grab people by the hair and growl in their face. Haven’t yet though, which is why I highly recommend MEDITATION.
How do I slice these by hand if I don’t have a Cuisinart?
My preferred method is to remove the stems, then slice them into quarters. You may just need to increase the cook time below by a few minutes to get the brussels to a desired consistency.
I’m vegan, what can I use to replace the pancetta without compromising flavor?
Toasted pine nuts are a great replacement and also add a bit of extra protein and healthy fat. To toast, place pine nuts in a dry skillet on medium heat. When hot, add pine nuts with a bit of salt & pepper. Stir for 2-3 min CONSTANTLY (do not leave unattended, they burn easily). When they’re nice and golden, remove from pan and set aside. You can also replace the ghee with a bit more olive oil.
What does Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta go well with?
Baked potatoes potatoes and/or grilled meat of any kind.
How long will the brussels stay good in the fridge?
About 3 days.
Shredded Brussels with Pancetta
- Cuisinart with slicer disc and cover attached (optional)
- 1.5 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4oz uncured pancetta, chopped
- ~2 lbs brussels sprouts (about 12 cups), shredded
- 1 teaspoon herbs de provence
- 1-1.5 teaspoons fine sea salt (because some pancettas can be saltier than others, start slow on the salt)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspooon cracked black pepper
- 1-1.5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet on medium heat. When the butter and oil are hot, add pancetta and brown (about 3ish min).
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 min. Add herbs de provence, stir, then add shreddd Brussels, stirring every 30 seconds or so for 5-7 min.
- When the brussels are done, remove from heat, adding lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
Need another delicious side recipe?
Check out my recipe for Cajun Potato Salad.