[Warning: This post is Keto-Unfriendly]
“I’d rather shave a few years off and eat regular white bread than eat this,” said my little brother, as he spat a piece of sprouted grain bread into a napkin. He’d come for a visit, and my husband was trying to convince us that sprouted grain bread really wasn’t that bad…once you got used to it.
I lasted a little longer than my brother, but, eventually I also threw in the towel. While I didn’t think that white bread was the way to go, I did have a strong belief that some foods made life worth living. And sprouted grain bread was not one of them.
I needed a bread that was delicious AND nutritious, but wouldn’t satiate me with disappointment. And while there are many whole wheat breads on the market, I found many to be tasteless cousins of sprouted grain. My quest to create a hearty and delicious whole wheat bread has ended with this recipe that I’ve modified over the last couple of years. It’s packed with fiber and heart healthy omegas from whole wheat flour, walnuts, and flax seeds. And it only takes 5 minutes to make!
Don’t have a bread machine yet? You can find some pretty good ones on Amazon for under $100. (I did the math and it pays for itself in less than a year if you make one loaf per week, at which point, you actually start saving money). Or you can see if anyone is looking to offload one for a few bucks.
Just don’t give them this recipe, or you’ll have to give the bread machine back…
Hearty Whole Wheat Bread
- Bread machine
- Nut chopper (optional)
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons avocado, olive or walnut oil
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup walnuts (If you have a nut chopper or coffee grinder, consider grinding if you want a consistent texture throughout.)
- 1/2 cup flax seeds, ground in nut chopper (If you have a nut chopper or coffee grinder, consider grinding if you want a consistent texture throughout.)
- Place ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order listed in the ingredients list above. Select whole wheat cycle and press start.
- When done, remove pan from machine and let cool on counter for 5 minutes before removing bread.
- Place cloth over bread and let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.